Friday, March 5, 2010

Curating

I am in the process of moving and am now realizing I like to collect stuff.  Not like a rare stamp collection or creepy porcelain-faced dolls, or even beautiful butterflies pinned to polyfill under framed glass, but just stuff.  I wouldn't classify myself as a horder...I'm not talking about paper stacked pathways through my apartment to designated areas like the one seat on the couch or piles of old gum wrappers and twine, but stuff in general.  I have a vast "collection" of jewlery, make-up, shoes, clothes, scarves, craft items, etc.  I should just host tours and charge $2..."and to your left you'll find "Club" by Mac...This color dates back to 1999.  It was incredibly popular, especially with the sorority crowd.  Note the dark grey and aqua green with the juxtaposition of red-brown undertones.  Yes, quite a rarity...please do not push and stand behind the rope..."  

I think I just enjoy spending.  And that's great for this economy, but bad for my bank account and plans for my future.  I mean I've known that I have this horrible habit for a while, but seeing the amount of things (and that's exactly what they are - just things) that I am extracting and disposing of is making me depressed.  I'm finding things that I forgot I ever owned, may have worn once, and the ultimate worst - things with tags still on them.  I even have "back-ups" of lotion - body and face, sunscreen, medicines, mascara, and more.  UGH!  It really is ridiculous.

I'm trying to use this move as a cleansing and introduction of new behavior.  Out with the old...hold off on the new.  Too bad I'm already thinking about how much space is now available in my closet...and how I need some espadrilles...and I want to get postage stamps to make some cute notecards...and I'm craving some new lip stains...and I want to start wearing more headbands and barettes...and...

god...I need a support group....

No comments: