Monday, November 24, 2008

Con Carne, hold the Carne

I hung out at my friend's house last nite.  We were drinking some beers and cooking dinner.  We tried to follow her mom's recipe for Enchiladas, but she being a white girl from Portland and me growing up on enchiladas from scratch...it turned into something entirely different.  I was responsible for the "filler".  While cooking the chicken, I started doctoring it up with spices, more cheese, and chilis.  She was responsible for the sauce, which was a bean based sauce with no meat, so it somewhat resembled chili - hence the con carne, hold the carne.  I was drinking beers through the cooking and eventually took over the shenanigans.  When it came time to fill and roll the tortillas, I discovered they were burrito sized; resulting in what looked like large chicken burritos with too much leftover tortilla.  I asked my friend for the sauce, thinking it would be just generic canned enchilada sauce; however I came to find that we would be covering our enchilada/burritos in the sauce resembling chili con carne.  Through the whole cooking process, her dog Bowie seemed to be confused by all the action in the kitchen - I'm guessing my friend doesn't cook much.  All in all, it was a great meal despite the hodge podge assembly.  Heavy, but great.  Chicken Burrito Chili Con Carne Hold the Carne Enchiladas were a hit!  Bowie even did tricks for them...  Next time I'm cooking...

No comments: