Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Great ShakeDown



My company was a participant in the Great Shake Out this morning.  I have to say it was pretty anti-climactic...great build-up.  The past 3 weeks have been filled with the basic propaganda of reminder emails, signs posted around the office, even a safety tube to keep under our desks.  The safety tube consisted of a bag of water, face mask, whistle, and glow stick.  I was ready for the greatest rave of the year - get that whistle and glow stick going...we are shaking it out!  
Well, at about 10 am a man's voice could be heard over the intercom...God...is that you?  No, it was a PSA voice telling us what a great opportunity we would be partaking in - being part of the shake out...he may have even said I would be joining millions of other Californians (great, now I'm part of a club).  Nothing shook, no one checked to see if I was alive...is this what the BIG ONE will be like?
 I used the time as a photo op...see above.  I'm the one lounging.  At the end of the "shaking"  the PSA told us about things that could have happened - you know, glass from the windows flying at our faces wanting to gouge our eye balls and sever our skin, hanging lights swinging their open electrical wires around our legs, buildings collapsing, streets caving in, you know...the good stuff.  
I know how to hang out under my desk - that's called nap time; I didn't need the Great Shake Out to teach me that.  I really needed the practice on the emergency stuff...so I feel like when the BIG ONE hits I will either snap into action or have a light protruding from my forehead while smothered in a pile of concrete after being electrocuted to death - that will be a great story.

No comments: